Friday, January 20, 2012

Don't Judge a Recipe by its' Name....

(Look I took a catalog picture! LOL)


A slight spin-off from the more popular known "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is starting to apply to my cooking.

I don't know many people who actually LIKE to drink buttermilk. Its sour, gross, it doesn't even SMELL good...however how many things do you like with buttermilk cooked in them? Buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk biscuits, buttermilk is commonly used in fried chicken, etc. Knowing all this you would be surprised at the faces I get when I tell people that I make buttermilk pie. I've decided to change the name to Butter Pie. Results: Less gag-faces.

Since I have learned this lesson I need to make sure I don't judge whether to try new recipes by the name. I got my new Cooks Country magazine the other day and saw a recipe for Sour Cream Biscuits. Now I will tell you...I HATE sour cream. Its disgusting! However...buttermilk is vile too....so off to the kitchen I go.

This recipe is EXTREMELY easy to make! You can make homemade biscuits in 30 minutes...no excuse not to ever again!

What you need:
-2C all purpose flour
-1TBS baking powder
-1tsp salt
-7tsp UN-salted melted butter(divided)
-16oz container sour cream

Go ahead and melt 5tsp of butter and let it cook while you get everything else out. Preheat the oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt then slowly add the sour cream and melted butter mixing well.

I took a 1/4C measuring cup and sprayed it with some Pam then used that to scoop out 12 biscuits onto a pan.

Brush the last 2tsp of melted butter on top of them before popping them in the oven.

Cook for 10-11 minutes then turn the pan around and bake for another 10-12 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack and serve warm.


I made my first batch last night and took some to a friend's house for breakfast. We ate them with Strawberry preserves and peach jam.




Then tonight I made another batch and ended up making Chipped Beef on Homemade Biscuits. It was delish!

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Alex! I'm really proud of you. I wish I had the nerve to do a blog. Next up....Buttermilk Pie. People will just have to get over the name...I did. What did this Yankee know anyway? I think I was Southern in a past life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think you could write a pretty awesome blog!

    I made some killer Buttermilk Pies at work the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm!! Biscuits!! They look really good!
    By the way, you have an award at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete