Monday, January 23, 2012

Chicken Updates!

My young girls are finally starting to lay. That egg on the left isn't that color...stupid cell phone quality picture messed it up. Its actually very light brown.

This morning I was gifted with an egg from one of my very young Delaware pullets.(young girl chicken) She laid a very small evenly brown egg. Hopefully she will keep this up!

This past weekend I went to the farmer's market in Raleigh to get some veggies and pecans. I mentioned to the lady with all the pumpkins/squash that I had chickens and would be happy to take any bruised/unsellable produce from her. I didn't expect anything but was VERY thrilled when I left with over 40 lbs of greens, squash, and pumpkins!! My girls have a lot of good eating to do.

Looks like homemade chicken soup will be next on the blog recipes. I have a racist rooster (he attacks all the white chickens) and another rooster will be heading to the stock pot this week. Hopefully it gets a little nicer outside so I can do it today...if not it will be Friday.

1 comment: