Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chicken goals



Lately I've been looking for a nice large breed of chicken to mix with some of my bigger rooster to have a self-sustaining flock. Where the girls will lay eggs and the boys will grow out on rich food and end up in the freezer.

I haven't had very much luck finding the hens that I want. I found one last week but sadly this morning I went to feed and she was dead. :( I'm not sure what happened and there is nothing wrong with any of my other chickens. I have a feeling she was just too big.

On a lighter note I was at the auction Sunday and found a STUNNING pair of Splash Orpingtons. I lucked out and they sold within my price range. He will be great over any hens that I find. Right now he is with my Delawares.

Here are a few more pictures of the 2 new ones:



1 comment: