Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Seed are SPROUTING!!

I decided to try starting seeds inside for the first time ever. I went to Home Depot(I need to be banned from that store!) and picked up starting trays for $5 each.

Since I'm doing my Terra-Fresh Experiment I decided to start 2 identical trays. I figure too many plants is better than not enough.

Tray Layout:

Tomato    Tomato     Salvia    Salvia     Salvia     Lemon Balm

Tomato    Tomato     Salvia    Salvia     Salvia     Lemon Balm

Tomato    Tomato     MOT    Tyme      Coral Bells     Lemon Balm

Tomato    Tomato     MOT    Tyme      Coral Bells     Lemon Balm

Tomato     MOT      MOT     Tyme     Coral Bells     Watermelon

Tomato     MOT      MOT     Tyme      Coral Bells     Watermelon

Each sets were started identically except the TF one was given 1drop of TF in 1/2 gallon water. Each were given 5 1/2 C of water to start off with.




I put both sets in the dark closet with the hot water heater. I noticed seeds starting at day 2!!

Once the maters and watermelon got tall enough to touch the top of the set I took the top off and turned the overhead (daylight bulb) light on for 12-16hrs a day.

As of right now the only thing that isn't sprouting in the TF container is the Coral Bells. The "control" container looks good too but has considerably less growth and has about 20% less started seeds.

Terra-Fresh:



Control:


Other Updates:
- A coworker generously gave me a bunch of 1yr old grape vines so I'll be adding grape trelliss to the yard in the next week or so.


- I'm planting my taters, spring onions, and carrots this week. I am going to show y'all a new way to grow taters to get more per plant.

- Chicken Stock recipe coming this week or this weekend!!! I need more and LOVE the way my house smells.

No comments:

Post a Comment