This is by far one of my favorite recipes of ALL time. Years ago I took a family trip to northern Indiana and was introduced to the world of Strawberry pies. My mother has made attempts to replicate the unique fabulous pie we had in Indiana and I have tried multiple pies but up until now we haven't come CLOSE.
I had a new friend give me this recipe casually as a fruit pie and as I thought about the tastes this would provide I got my hope up....it sounded like it might be close.
I think the final piece I'm missing is the homemade crust....don't worry I'll be working on that and post as soon as I have the perfect combination.
I have adjusted the recipe after the first one I made. Because of the speed in which this is cooked I was unable to get any cooking pictures. Hopefully the next one I make I'll have someone there to take pictures for me.
FABULOUS STRAWBERRY PIE
-1 Cup of Sugar
-1/3 Cup of Cornstarch
-1 PACKET of Knox plain/flavorless gelatin
-1 Cup of water
-4 Cups of Small pieces of fruit or 3 1/2 Cups of Large pieces of fruit
-1 Deep dish pie crust
- Cook pie crust to instructions on the back. I didn't want mine super crispy so I cooked it for 1 minute LESS than what the package recommended and it was perfect.
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin in a large sauce pan.
- Turn the heat on medium and SLOWLY add the water making sure everything dissolves
- Bring to a boil stirring QUICKLY. It heats up FAST and you'll need to stir fast to get it thick and it will go from a white color to a opaque/clear color.
- Take off the heat and fold in the fruit.
- Place pie into the fridge to cool for a few hours. It will set up fast.
Enjoy! Please let me know how yours turn out.